Another addition to my pre-baby Leah-centric list was the inclusion of these patriotic place mats I, admittedly, started about two years ago. My plan was to make them in time for June because they’d be appropriate all through the summer. Well as I am a novice sewer, it took me longer than expected and I didn’t finish them in time, then the following year I was busy doing wedding related DIY projects, including sewing all the table runners for the wedding. Cut to now when I decided I wanted to make a baby blanket and I realized it’s now or never for these place mats. So before I hopped into baby-mode I decided to finish the place mats once and for all. I followed an idea in a beginner’s quilting book but adapted it for red, white, and blue. I bought two types of star-spangled fabric, cut strips of them, sewed them in an alternating fashion, then added batting and bound them with a dark blue fabric. To finish them off, I cut out stars in the leftover solid blue and used bonding adhesion to adhere them to the front of the place mat. They are definitely a beginner’s work but hey I finished them.
And they were good practice for the
baby blanket because I want to do a similar method. First off I looked online
to determine an average size of a baby blanket, based on what I saw I went with
around 30x40 inches which works well with fabric by the yard. I
bought two somewhat coordinating animal fabrics, instead of cutting strips I
cut blocks, with the plan of sewing them together, four blocks across in an alternating patter
and then use a green and white pinstripe to back it and bind it. I ended up cutting the
blocks to around 9.5x10.5, and then before I sewed them together I made sure the
blocks were similar enough in size. I’m not really advanced enough to strive
for perfection with either the accuracy of my cutting skills or the accuracy of
my sewing skills.
|Better late than never!|
Once I cut the two different animal prints I realized I wanted to go back to the fabric store and select two more fabrics, this time a stripe, polka dot, or geometric and use one of each of these new fabrics with one of each of the animal fabrics and make two separate blankets. I have enough of the green stripe backing to make two and I figure you can never have too many baby blankets.
I planned to use the chevron for the multi-animal print and the geometric pattern for the elephant print. Turns out cutting and sewing blocks together is a heck of a lot easier than sewing strips together, plus my skill level has slightly improved. Now I am in no way claiming that the first blanket came out perfect, I definitely made some mistakes but overall I’m really happy with it.
|I'm in love with this fabric, it's so stinkin' cute.|